Monday 31 July 2017

Reasoning:Quiz (Statement and Arguments)


Reasoning:Quiz  (Statement and Arguments)

Statement and Arguments Questions 
Each of the following questions consists of a statement followed by two arguments I and II.
Give answer:
(A) If only argument I is strong
(B) If only argument II is strong
(C) If either I or II is strong
(D) If neither I nor II is strong and
(E) If both I and II are strong.



1. Statement: Should the railways immediately stop issuing free passes to all its employees?
Arguments:
I. No. The employees have the right to travel free.
II. Yes. This will help railways to provide better facility.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

2. Statement : Should number of holidays of government employees be reduced ?
Arguments :
 I. Yes. Our government employees are having maximum number of holidays among the other countries of the world.
II. Yes. It will lead to increased productivity of government offices.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.   Both I and II are strong

3. Statement : Should there be reservation of seats and posts on communal basis ?
Arguments : 
I. Yes. It will check most of the inter-communal biases.
II. No. Ours is a secular state.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

4. Statement : Should government stop spending huge amounts of money on international sports ? 
Arguments : 
I. Yes. This money can be utilised for poor.
II. No. Sports-persons will be frustrated and will not get international exposure.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

5. Statement : Should education be made compulsory for all children up to the age of 14 ?
Arguments : 
I. Yes. This will help to eradicate the system of forced employment of children.
II. Yes. This would increase the standard of living.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

6. Statement : Should the tuition fees in all post graduate courses be hiked considerably ?
Arguments : 
I. Yes. This will bring some kind of seriousness among the students and will improve quality.
II. No. This will force the meritorious poor students to stay away from post-graduate courses.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

7. Statement: Should students union in universities be abolished ?
Arguments :
I. Yes. Students can pay full attention to their career development.
II. No. All the great leaders had been students union leaders.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

8. Statement: Should persons convicted of criminal offences in the past be allowed to contest elections in India?
Arguments:
I. No. Such persons cannot serve the cause of the people and country.
II. Yes. It is democracy - let people decide whom to vote.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

9. Statement: Should cutting of trees be banned altogether?
Arguments:
I. Yes. It is very much necessary to do so to restore ecological balance.
II. No. A total ban would harm timber based industries.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

10. Statement: Should the political parties be banned?
Arguments:
I. Yes. It is necessary to teach a lesson to the politicians.
II. No. It will lead to an end of democracy.
a.  Only argument I is strong
b.  Only argument II is strong
c.  Either I or II is strong
d.  Neither I nor II is strong
e.  Both I and II are strong

Answer Key And Explanation:
1. (D)
(Explanation:The free passes given to railway employees is a privilege for them, not their right. 
    So, argument I does not hol   Argument II seems to be vague.

2.(B)

3.(B)

4.(B)
(Explanation: Clearly spending money on sports can not be avoided merely for social economic            
problems. But Argument II is strong. Be a sports man and then think on this question. :)

5.(D)

6.(B)
(Explanation: Clearly seriousness among the students is not because of fees but second argument is strong.

7.(A)

8.(A)
(Explanation: Clearly, persons with criminal background cannot stand to serve as the                     
representatives of the common people. So, they should not be allowed to contest elections. Thus, only argument I holds, while II does not.

9.(E)

10.(D)(Explanation: Clearly, with the ban on political parties, candidates can independently contest elections. 
So, it will not end democracy. Thus, argument II does not hold. Argument I does not give a strong reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment